Dr. Areta Podhorodecki MD is a graduate of the medical school at the University of Melbourne. After 2 years of internal medicine residency and general practice in Australia, she came to New York City for residency training in physical medicine and rehabilitation, (1983 to 1986) at St. Vincent’s Hospital and Medical Center, NYC. She became a board certified Physiatrist in 1987 and has been in private practice for over 20 years at SMR as well as the multi-specialty Manhattan Medical Center in Greenpoint, Brooklyn. She practices:
- Electrodiagnostic medicine (EMG, nerve conduction studies)
- Sports Medicine
- General Rehabilitation/Physiatry
She is a certified Allergan physician speaker, qualified injector of Botox for hyperhidrosis, migraine headaches, cervical dystonia, blepharospasm and spasticity.
Hospital affiliations include Weill Cornell Medical Center and Beth Israel Medical Center, NYC. She is a consultant at Mary Manning Walsh Nursing Home. She is a clinical assistant professor at New York Medical College and adjunct clinical assistant/professor at Weill Cornell Medical College. She has authored a textbook chapter, “Exercising the Elderly” (Clinical Geriatrics, Parthenon Publishing 2003) and published a research paper on “Carpal Tunnel and Overuse Syndromes” (Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 1993). Special interests include pregnancy related low back pain, carpal tunnel syndrome, ergonomics for computer repetitive strain injuries and Botox treatments for a variety of medical conditions.
- American Medical Association
- American Medical Society of Sports Medicine
- American Association of Neuromuscular and Electrodiagnostic Medicine
- Royal Society of Medicine, UK
- American Association of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- New York Society of Medicine
- Fellow of the American Board of Sports Medicine 2008
- American Board of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation 1987
- American Board of Electrodiagnostic Medicine 1991